The Kampos Estates On Chios
& The Vlasto Properties (2) 28-06-1999
The Kampos Houses and estates in the region just south of the city on Chios were for a long time architectural gems of the Mediterranean and Aegean seas. For at least five hundred years travellers to Chios marvelled at the island's natural beauty and outstanding architecture. Their accounts describe the elegance, beauty and sophistication of the scores of palazzos and town houses they found in the town of Chios but particularly in the Kampos region. The Kampos the country retreat of the noble families of Chios contained a magnificent collection of houses that spanned and often combined Byzantine, Ottoman, Genoese, Venetian and Classical architectural styles. Despite the ravages of time, war and earthquakes, much still remains to be seen today.
I'm grateful to my wife Sarah Long for translating interminable Greek and successfully negotiating fiendishly complicated references, maps and confusing descriptions.
N.B. Clicking on a thumbnail may not always link to a full size image.
By Christopher Long
At least eighteen Vlasto estates are known to have existed on Chios. Most of these have now been located and identified. Four are known to have been in the centre of Chios town and, significantly, there do indeed appear to have been about four heads of households at any given time in the period 1700-1820. The fourteen or more estates in the nearby Kampos were no doubt distributed among these four and their children at various times.
The earliest recorded Vlastos on Chios are: Cocos Vlasto (1625), Christophe Vlasto (1630), Antoine Vlasto (1634), Joseph Vlasto (1646) and Perris Vlasto (1679): "... often mentioned in the codex of the Latin bishopric and the codices of churches from the beginning of the C17th ..." Philip Argenti, Libro d'Oro.
However, they may have arrived earlier: "... Their mingling with the Venetian and Genoese families is obvious because we find them with Latin first names in the old codices of Chios: e.g. Simon Vlasto, Gofres Vlasto, Perris Vlasto, Batistas Vlasto etc. The Vlastos make an official appearance in the old Chios documents in the middle of the C16th or early C17th and, owing to their lineage and wealth, quickly take their place amongst the Chios elite as rulers ... Nico Perri, Kampos.
Left: The Vlastos were an ancient Byzantine family some of whom took part in the conquest of Crete in 1089 and settled there as feudal landlords and local rulers until the majority moved elsewhere in the early C17th.
This picture purports to illustrate Vlasto feudal domains in Crete, illustrated in Les Vlasto: Une Famille Patricienne Crétoise by Kostas Kerofilas.
The Vlastos retained their substantial Cretan territories from the C11th to at least the C17th. Some remained on Crete until at least the mid-C20th but in the early C17th the majority moved to Zante, Corfu, Alexandria, Constantinople, etc.
This page, however, concerns the houses and estates of the group which settled on the large Aegean island of Chios which was the shipping and trading hub of the eastern Mediterranean. There they were to play a significant role in the tragic events before, during and after the catastrophe of 1822.
The earliest known image of a Vlasto above left may be that of Iannis Vlasto (1) (b. 1695) of Chios. If so, his wife above centre is Maria Argenti (b. 1696). They had three children and the only daughter is above right, Vierou Vlasto (1722-1748).
Iannis Vlasto (3) (1766-1830) below married Angeliki Petrocochino (1774-1835). Of their five children, their daughter Zennou Vlasto (3) (1798-1876) is pictured on the Chios Diaspora pages.
This large palazzo in Vlasto Street in Aplotaria (Chios city centre) was rebuilt after the earthquake and was once set amidst vast gardens which extended east towards the port. Philip Argenti describes this as: "A large estate in the town, Aplotaria, situated behind the property which [in 1955] belongs to the Machairiadi, close to the ancient church of St Nicolas.
Although the exterior of this Genoese-influenced palazzo has been magnificently restored, the interior was stripped out to form, by 1999, a city centre bank.
According to Perri: "The Vlastos were fairly independent within the city. It may even be the case that at one time the whole quarter (everywhere behind the Machairiadi house where are today's properties Pachnou and Moutafo up to the Lachanagora, as far as the Choremi property) belonged at one time to the Vlastos and that the district was named the Vlastodika. One area was named Kaloplyte [or Kato Kaloplyte] and the Aplotaria was independent (this was in front of the entrance to the Choremi property)".
See below for Vlasto's Kato Kaloplyte property and their property now owned by the Choremi family.
The Aplotaria property appears to have been the residence of Michael Vlasto (2) (1762-1849) who was the last Demogeront of Chios as the events of 1822 unfolded. Judging from its age, Michael Vlasto may have been at least the fourth generation to live here.
The chart below demonstrates very clearly how members of each of the households were affected by the water-shed events of that year. Every one of the survivors died in exile.
Right: Tiny family chapels like St Nicholas are really only large enough for the devotions of one person at a time. Many remain in Chios, rebuilt after the 1881 earthquake, but are usually of ancient origin.
Michael Vlasto (2) (1762-1849)
The author's great-great-great- grandfather was the last demogeront of Chios in 1822.
This magnificent portrait is carved in stone on his tomb at the Greek Orthodox cemetery in Trieste where he died in exile.
Few men can have faced a dilemma as appalling as that presented to him in 1821-22.
See: The Massacres of Chios
Michael Vlasto (2) is described as having a second city centre property (later acquired by the Choremi family) "adjacent to the Rodocanachi house". This is the large and beautiful estate which in 1999 was owned by the author's good friends, Iannis & Maria Choremi. They are the fifth generation of their family to live there and although the house was rebuilt after the earthquake in 1881 it remains the only example of an almost original city estate despite having lost some of its land.
Philip Argenti writes: "Michael Vlasto had another house (Choremi property) adjacent to the Rodocanachi house."
Perri writes: "... yet another [Vlasto property] was the district of St Sumeonos...". Is he referring to the Choremi property or to another unidentified estate?
Argenti describes another Vlasto house and estate in Atsiki in the city centre. It appears to have been situated immediately behind and west of the present Choremi family estate (see above). This site was cleared in the 1980s or 1990s to make way for a shopping centre but was still vacant in 1999. No identifiable remains of the house are visible. It is not yet clear which branch of the Vlasto family occupied this property.
Only the sublime snobbery of Philip Argenti could have produced this comment: "Another Vlasto house was at Atsiki. Having arrived in Chios [from Crete] only in C17th, they established themselves in the fashionable Aplotaria and Atsiki areas rather than in the Engremos and Palaio-Castro quarters of the old nobility)". Since other ancient families like the Rodocanachis were the Vlasto's neighbours here, one can only assume that Argenti is disguising the fact that his own recently-arrived forebears had taken up residence in their old and abandoned 'noble' houses in the now cramped and Turk-dominated Kastro area!
Perri writes: "... another [Vlasto property] was at Atsiki near the Theologia."
A fourth city centre property as yet unidentified is described as being at Kato Kaloplyti. This apparently was the residence of:
The history of this large estate is complicated but it is almost certainly that described by Argenti in his Libro d'Oro de la Noblesse de Chio as having been shared by the Vlasto and Galati families. It derives its name 'Hioussein' or 'Souzountis-Bey' (correctly 'Huseyin Sucudi Bey') in recognition of the major of the island for 15 years who died in 1878 and who occupied it after the departure of these two families during the 1822 massacres. The Vlasto coats of arms which Argenti describes as having been identified over one of the gateways in the 1950s had, by 1999, disappeared.
Originally this estate comprised two principal houses (both visible today) as well as what seems to have been the remains of an earlier Schilizzi pyrgi on the site. The larger of these two houses (shown above) belonged to the Vlasto family. The Galatis appear to have owned the still-inhabited house to the north of the 'Vlasto' courtyard.
Despite having lost its roof by the end of the C20th, the austere, neo-classical 'Vlasto' house (now known as the Litsakico) remains one of the grandest and best-preserved of the great Kampos houses.
According to Perri, a certain Anthony Litsaki established himself here as he set about acquiring large land-holdings in the Kampos. It was he who rebuilt one or both of the Vlasto/Galati houses which had been damaged by the earthquake of 1881, following the departure of the Turks. On Litsaki's death in 1912 the property was inherited by Nicolas and Eustratius Litsaki.
Remarkably, some of the original carved marble Byzantine/Ottoman basins and other decorative features were still in situ beside the original donkey-wheel well. At the southern end of the estate a collection of farm buildings remained.
In 1999 the secondary (Galati) house, on the northern side of the courtyard, was occupied.
An historical survey of 2001 mentions: "... an exquisite ghourna (basin) in the sterna (cistern)... in of one of the two properties probably that of the Vlastos and "... an entrance gate of exquisite beauty, a typical example of simplicity combined with neoclassical features..." at the other property.
The estate appears on a 1922 Athens map: "... two farms/properties Vlasto and Galati, came to possession of Souzountis-Bey after 1822...".
It is not yet known which members of the Vlasto family owned this house but, being so close to those of Rallis, Mavrogordatos and the house used as a Council Chamber by the Demogeronts, it may well have been the principal Kampos residence of the demogeront Michael Vlasto (2).
This much rebuilt property in the Kampos was occupied in 1999 by the Gallis (or Ghialis) family. It is a sad reflection of what it once must have been.
The gate pillars, arch and lower portion of the house may be largely unaltered but the upper floor and roof are certainly of post-earthquake construction. The ground-space of the original house may have been rather larger too. The position of the donkey-wheel well, if original, is further from the house than would have been typical, suggesting that the house may have stretched westwards, perhaps in an L-shape (following the corner of the road) and probably covering the area which now comprises garaging and a barn.
Perri writes: "The Vlastos also at one time owned the property today owned by I. Ghialis. It's past the Aghio Dektimi turning on the left towards Babulous. This property is described as being Petrocochinos because it passed from the Vlastos to the Petrocochinos and afterwards to Dr Stavrinakis."
Perri also makes the following reference: " The coat of arms of the Vlasto family is a two-headed Byzantine eagle with three budding branches on which is the word 'Flourishing' [Blastanw or 'burgeoning'].
A coat of arms was found in an old Vlasto home, by then a Petrocochino residence (later owned by Dr Stavrinakis and today by the I. Gialis family) near Agiodexteini (described earlier, in the Petrocochino chapter). However, here they used a one-headed eagle with a 'sprig' below it and, above the eagle, a cross. On a banner, under the coat of arms, the word 'Flourishing' [sprouting] again appears..."
A Chios historical survey of 2001 describes this property as: "A property belonging nowadays to Ion. Ghialis. It used to belong to Andreas Petrocochinos and to Dr Stavinakis. The central stairway, the gate and the cistern with the ghournes (basins) and the spouts consistute a wonderful architectural example".
The original estate probably stretched down to the main Kampos road (including the area which in 1999 was occupied by a shop, restaurant and other more recent roadside buildings). If this was the case it seems likely that this was the centre portion of three separate but adjacent Vlasto estates, each with its own house and estate buildings, which occupied a swathe of land on the slopes to the west of the main Kampos road. These others are described in the next two items.
Perri writes: "Of all the Vlasto pyrgi, the most renowned was the one which later belonged to the Negropontes [appropriated by them after the Massacres of Chios]. It was near the Paxua [which may be the same as the Panaghia Pachya church] and was owned by the 'Mahout-Efendi [probably Turkish major 'Mahmut Belig Bey'] and later the Serbos family. Today it has been annexed by Zannis Chalkousis and is described as the 'Negropontico' (Padua house)". (This information is corroborated by the 1921 survey map)
A Chios historical survey of 2001 describes this property as: "Zannis Chalkousis estate. The ground floor of the current construction is what has been left from the great tower of Negroponte Pachi, who were also the founders of the church Panaghia Pachya".
Nothing remains today of a large house which, by 1999, had been demolished to make way for a BP petrol station on the main Kampos Road, a few metres south of the grocery and restaurant. The surrounding walls of the estate remain largely intact, stretching south to its farm buildings on the corner of a lane leading westwards off the Kampos road and towards other former Vlasto property in Spiladia. Its land has now been sub-divided.
Perri writes: "The 'Karavas' property, beside the [Kokalas] river, on the left down from the Maximinas Bridge [on the main Kampos road) passed from the Vlastos because, as with Sgoutas and others, it was surrendered or appropriated in the 'state annexation' [which followed the Turkish occupation after the Massacres of Chios]".
A Chios historical survey of 2001 describes this property as: "An estate belonging to the heirs of the Karavas family. It is an old Genoese estate that finally belonged to the Karavas family after the successive ownerships of the Sgouta, Sechiari, Vernadakis and Syrgos families."
According to Perri: "There is information that the property belonging to the heirs of Aug. Topaka, on the way to the Calvocoressi property, was also owned by the Vlastos". But whether this refers to this property or to number nine (9) above is unclear.
According to a 1921 survey map, the Vlastos appear to have had an estate beside the river across the road from Aghios Ioannis 'Voidomatis'. More research is needed on this property.
A Chios historical survey of 2001 describes this property as: "The villa of the Konidi family. It once belonged to the Rodocanachi family, then to the Vlasto family and finally to the Konidis family. In the courtyard one can distinguish a few remnants of the old tower over which the modern building was built" This information is confirmed by a 1921 survey map though more research is needed.
This property may the one referred to as being in 'Spiladia' (though this one lies on the southern side of a sharp bend in the road that divides Spiladia from the Kampos and another Vlasto property is located in Spiladia see below). It is still uncertain whether this was in fact a Vlasto property but it became the estate of Crokia (Cross) and later Y. Tomazos.
Adjacent to the 'Gallis' estate (see above) and with massively tall retaining walls around its own huge estate, it has magnificent views over the whole of the Kampos. After the departure of the Vlastos in 1822 it was probably occupied by the neighbouring Negroponte family (who were then occupying the Maximo family 'pyrgi' on the opposite side of the road, which in 1999 was in ruins).
In its present form this house is unrecognisable for what it once was. The long range of buildings beside the road, comprising the main house and estate buildings, have been appallingly badly 'rebuilt'. In 1999 it was virtually uninhabited and the C19th and C20th additions almost entirely disguise its original appearance. One very early portion is still visible from within the structure and may date from the late C16th or C17th. Judging from the thickness of these internal walls this may once have been a 'pyrgi' standing on one of the most prominent hills in the Kampos. It seems likely that this estate formed the westernmost of the three adjacent Vlasto properties west of the Kampos Road (see above).
[The Negroponte family were among the very few original families to remain after 1822 and appear to have 'occupied' several vacant estates including another Vlasto property near Thymiana (see below). However, they may have left in 1822 and responded to the Turkish appeal for the old families to return. If so, they may have made their return conditional upon acquiring further property on the island. Negroponte tombs at Trieste are evidence that some at least were driven from the island. Similarly, the presence of members of the Zygomalas family on Chios from at least the late C19th, suggests that some of them stayed on or returned at a later date]
More research needs to be done into this property.
Perri writes: "A little higher up as the road continues towards the Babulous, south of the little torrent Laka, the so-called Xenakis house was also the property of the Vlastos and is today owned by the heirs of Ioannis & Loucas Xenakis".
A survey map dated 1921 refers to this property as being "of Vlastos now Xenakis".
According to Perri: "The Vlastos owned the central property (later belonging to Katsambos) at the end of the narrow alley that follows the stream from the Calvocoressi School. It is known as Bourika because it's in the middle and the eastern part is Bourika. Today the property belongs to the Nurses."
This shell in the Kampos, overlooking the river is all that remains of the Vlasto house here. Its surrounding estate lies inside a long curving wall on the northern side of the road beside the Polyxeneio and is now (like several other Kampos estates) the much neglected property of the governors of Chios 'Hospital' foundation. Although only a small portion the walls of the house remain, adjacent to the road and the river, the farm buildings in the opposite corner of the citrus groves were, in 1999, relatively intact and inhabited. It was presumably abandoned by the Vlasto family at the time of the Massacres of Chios in 1822.
A Chios historical survey of 2001 describes this property as: ...belonging nowadays to the hospital of Chios, the estate was once owned by the Vouro family, then by someone called Georgiadis, then to Katsambos...
The Polyxeneio is a hexagonal, stone-built 'meeting place' at the road junction, on a rise overlooking the river (see above: bottom right). It is sometimes said to have been used by the island's leaders to discuss matters in privacy and also as a place where the rich could leave food, clothing, etc., for the poor. Neither of these theories has been substantiated and the noble families tended to use the nearby 'Salvago Club' as one of several 'meeting places'. It seems more likely that this vacant spot at a road junction above the prettiest part of the river was just an irresistibly good place to meet people.
Former Vlasto estates described by Philip Argenti which have not yet been identified are:
Above: The author at the gates of a former Vlasto estate in the Kampos in Spring 1999.
Translated by Tima Vlasto & Sarah Long. Edited by Christopher Long
"Coincidentally, the properties of the Vouro, in the city as well as in the plains, are found, in many places, near to those of the Vlastos and for that reason, I believe, it will be easier for the reader if we now examine the old and great, noble family of the Vlastos, the branches of whose tree extend to the present day.
The word Flourishing ['sprouting'] is engraved on the Vlasto coat of arms and this is not a play on words since their name is a derivative of the verb [Blastanw/Blasto]. It proved prophetic for the Vlasto tree truly flourished and brought us many surviving Vlastos to this day.
First, let us find the root of this family, which appears, as most historians agree, to have come to Chios from Crete. This family is very old and has its origins in Byzantium. From there they settled in Crete, some in the C11th and others at the end of the C12th. When the Crusaders conquered Constantinople (1204), Crete was given to 'Bonifatio of Momferatiko', who then sold it to the State of Venice.
The great Byzantine families which had divided Crete among themselves including the Vlastos had managed to have their privileges and titles acknowledged by the Venetians, but this did not preclude cases of rebellion. In these the Vlastos played a leading part.
Later when the Turks conquered Crete, the Vlastos again refused to submit easily and, it appears, were hunted down by the Turks. They left for Chios and Zakynthos [Zante] and other Ionian islands [Cephalonia and Corfu]. Some went to Venice [including Nicolas Vlasto], in whose interests they fought against the Turks.
But, following the occupation of Constantinople by the Turks, other Vlastos living there left for Chios. At this point historians are not agreed, but these appear to be the most natural routes.
From Chios, some Vlastos returned, much later, to Constantinople where they became merchants and prospered. Other Vlastos reunited in their principality [ancient lands they held from early Byzantine times in Transylvania, Galatz and Iasi, etc] on the banks of the Danube and took high office.
Their mingling with the Venetian and Genoese families is obvious because we find them with Latin first names in the old codices of Chios: e.g. Simon Vlasto, Gofres Vlasto, Perris Vlasto, Batistas Vlasto, etc.
The Vlastos make an official appearance in the old Chios documents in the middle of the C16th or early C17th and, owing to their lineage and wealth, quickly take their place amongst the Chios élite as rulers.
One known branch of this family is that of Alexander Mike Vlasto, the writer of the 'Xiaka' [Chios], whose contribution to records of Chian history was invaluable and who lived in the beginning of the C19th. His father, Michael Vlasto, was the island's senior Demogeront [elder] and it was from him that the Turks demanded hostages as Greek ships [during the Greek War of Independence] appeared in the waters of Chios in April 1821. Another, Lucas Vlasto, was among the Martyrs of 1822 when he was hanged along with other nobles.
Alexander and Theodore Vlasto, children of Antonio Alexander Vlasto and Kalliroi Ralli (sister of Baron Ambrosio Ralli), became partners and directors of Ralli Brothers. Stephanos, son of Antonio Vlasto, is a writer of historical books, while another writer and poet was Petros Theodoros Vlasto [Pierre] who lived in London in the early C20th.
The coat of arms of the Vlasto family is a two-headed Byzantine eagle with three budding branches on which is the word 'Flourishing' [Blastanw or 'burgeoning']. A coat of arms was found in an old Vlasto home, by then a Petrocochino residence (later owned by Dr Stavrinakis and today by the I. Gialis family) near Agiodexteini (described earlier, in the Petrocochino chapter). However, here they used a one-headed eagle with a 'sprig' below it and, above the eagle, a cross. On a banner, under the coat of arms, the word 'Flourishing' [sprouting] again appears.
The Vlasto family dispersed [after the 1822 Massacres] to many places. Apart from London they are found prospering in Smyrna, Trieste, Paris, Egypt and elsewhere. [See Chios Diapora l and Chios Diapora ll]
The Vlastos were fairly independent within their city. Perhaps indeed the whole quarter everywhere behind the Machairiade house where are today's Pachrou and Moutafe houses and to the Lakanagora as far as the Choremi property belonged to the Vlastos at one time and the district was called the 'Vlastoudika' [this is to say, the entire length of todays's main high street in Chios and stretching deep towards the west; i.e. the whole western half of the heart of modern-day Chios].
One [of their] areas was that of the sign of Kaloplyte [the great and the good!] and the Aplotaria was independent and in front of the entrance to the Choremi property [the Vlasto property now owned by the Choremi family]. Another was Atsiki near the Theologos and yet another was the district of Aghios Sumeonos.
The pyrgi of the Kampos were renowned so they gained continuity and independence and were soon sought after by others. Of all the pyrgi of the Vlastos the most renowned was that which later belonged to the Negropontes. It was near the Paxua, and was [later] owned by the Makmout Effende, and then by the Serbos. Today it has been annexed by Zannis Chalkousis and is known as the 'Negropontico' (Padua house).
In the same area, but further to the north, along the Litsaki lane, the Vlastos had another large property, a distinguished pyrgi, behind the 'Great Litsaki', or 'Bey's house', which today belongs to the heirs of Nicolas and Eutratius Litsaki (the heirs of Antony Litsaki).
This whole estate of the 'Great Litsaki', or 'Bey's house', needs re-eamination because of the confusion caused by the Diaspora, at which time it was annexed from the Vlastos by the Schilizzis. The lion and the sword on the coat of arms over the external gateway indicate that it belonged to the Schilizzi family.
We have to piece together varied details as, over the ages, properties pass from one family to another and the inevitable evolution leads to confusion.
The 'Bey's House' used to be two properties, Galati and Vlasto, which after the 1822 Massacre went to the major of the island for 15 years, 'Huseyin Sucudi Bey' (died in 1878) and his wife and, later, to Anthony Litsaki.
For the same price Anthony Litsaki sold the former Galati property to G. Lazarake (owner in the 1920s), while the remainder (the Vlastoudika and Bey's House) belong, as I have said, to the heirs of Anthony Litsaki,.
It is my opinion that when the 'interpolation' occurred they went to Anthony Litsaki, who amalgamated his existing property with other properties (e.g. the Roidico, Kanakikos) and he truly became one of the major Kampos landowners.
Anthony Litsaki was a canny, efficient and competent character. He spent his youth in Egypt and, when he returned from that ancient land, he began to acquire property. Many Kampos people still remember him as being tall with imposing features and master of the Kampos in his day. He died in 1912.
He acted as Russian representative in Chios and virtually monopolised the export of citrus fruits to the Russian market. The Tsar's flag hanging at 'Great Litsaki' afforded a high degree of protection as the Turks have [in the early 1920s] considerable respect for European flags. For quite a time (in the latter decades of the Turkish occupation of Chios) the Litsaki house was a refuge for those opposed to Turkish rule. The Tsar's flag was protective and imposing, and Anthony Litsaki provided substantive protection.
In this way serious wealth accrued and the owners took over the whole area. Anthony Litsaki built other substantial properties and extended the Kampos area.
The 'Great Litsaki' house was enormous, but survived the earthquake intact owing to the method of construction. There is a Schilizzi pyrgi underneath the garden, which dates from the time of the Vlastos (as does the Litsaki itself). A rampant lion in marble relief comes from the Schlizzi coat of arms.
Today's large building, built by Anthony Litsaki, is in the style of the Kampos gentleman's houses of the period after the earthquake and increased the pyrgi's size.
Another gentleman'a house in the same style was built by the Mermigha family. Similarly, the Maximino's bridge, built to deal with the stream on the way to Mulonakidos. These families developed a characteristic general architectural style, i.e. opened-up and with similarities to the former pyrgi.
There are vast verandahs and balustrades at the 'Tsar's House' supported by other arches with great columns of marble and iron. The verandahs usually cover the domed family living area which protrudes. The construction is usually light, because the 1881 earthquake greatly influenced the way building methods. Post-earthquake constructions were very daring and as far as possible avoided conventions in terms of height and size. The Kampos became much more enjoyable and had renewed value a charming place indeed. The shade and the extensive views are delightful.
Particularly after the earthquake, social customs and apprehension led to re-thinking about both the cautious and boldly designed buildings. It was impossible to do anything about the [ground floor] passages but the large vaulted halls with only a light roof were relatively safe after the introduction of French tiles.
Huge, freestanding stone staircases intersect the properties and iron verandahs are attached to the house's entrance. A large, classical passageway going in from the entrance bisects the houses, with rooms on both sides of the passageway. The Great Litsaki house is built in this style. So is the Bey's house next-door (the former Sgouta house on the northern side) which was inherited by Apostalus Litsaki from Anthony Litsaki. Today [in the early 1920s] it belongs to the heirs of Apostalus. (This last property is described as being 'of the Schools').
Thus Anthony Litsaki's housing portfolio began with the Lazarake property (formerly Galati) and then grew to include the Bey's house, the Sgouta house and the Schilitzzi house (which later belonged to the Karavases and today [in the early 1920s] is the property of the PKK [Model State Landowner]). It extended as far as the other Schilitzzi house, i.e. the Ralli house (opposite the Bitellikos). The whole area, reckoned to be a district of around 240 to 250 fathoms, once belonged to Anthony Litsaki.
Additionally, the Vlastos owned to central property (later belonging to Katsambos) at the end of the narrow alley that follows the stream from the Calvocoressi School. It is known as 'Bourika' because it is in the middle and the eastern part is Bourika. Today the property belongs to the Nurses [the Hospital Foundation].
The Vlastos at one time also owned the property today owned by I. Ghialis. It lies beyond the Agiodektimi turning, on the left towards Babulous. This property is described as being 'Petrocochino' because it passed from the Vlastos to the Petrocochinos and afterwards to Dr Stavrinakos.
A little higher up, as the road continues towards the Babulous, south of the little torrent Laka, the so-called Xenakis property also belonged to the Vlastos and is today owned by the heirs of Ioannis and Loucas Xenakis.
There is information that the property belonging to the heirs of Aug. Topaka, on the way to the Calvocoressi property, was also owned by the Vlastos.
The Karavas property (on the left bank of the river, east of the Maximinas bridge) passed from the hands of the Vlastos because, as with the Sgoutas and others, it was surrendered or acquisitioned in the 'state annexation' of property [after the Massacres].
To generalize, the Vlastos mainly had town properties [Aplotaria, Atsiki, 'Choremi', Aghios Sumeonos and Kato Kaloplyti] but also some decidedly significant Kampos pyrgi a sizeable number which was proportional to the size and wealth of the family and the fact that properties passed into other hands quite quickly."
Translated 20 March 2002
Any information or contributions which enlarge on the above will be welcomed!
© (1999) Christopher Long. Copyright, Syndication & All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
The text and graphical content of this and linked documents are the copyright of their author and or creator and site designer, Christopher Long, unless otherwise stated. No publication, reproduction or exploitation of this material may be made in any form prior to clear written agreement of terms with the author or his agents.